Homeless Awareness and Education

The definition of homelessness

The McKinney-Vento law says that homelessness includes individuals who do not have a xed, regular and adequate home because they have lost their own home. This means:

  •     Individuals who have lost their own home, suffering a nancial hardship or similar reason;
  •     Individuals who are sharing the housing of others;
  •     Individuals who are living in hotels or motels or in campgrounds or trailer parks that are not viewed as year-round homes because they do not have accommodations, such as heat or running water;
  •     Individuals who are living in emergency shelters or who have been abandoned in hospitals;
  •     Individuals who are living in cars, parks or public spaces.

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

• In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
• On the street
• In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
• Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing

Then, your preschool-aged and school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.
Your children have the right to:

• Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
• Continue in the school they attended before you became homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends your child to a school other than the one you request, the school must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
• Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian request such transportation.
• Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
• Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
• Enroll and attend classes in the school of your choice even while the school and you seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling your children.
• Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
• Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

When you move, you should do the following:

• Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education (see phone number below) for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school. Someone at a shelter or social services office can also direct you to the person you need to contact.
• Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to
new circumstances.

• Ask the local liaison for homeless education, the shelter provider, or a social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies, if needed.

Katie Jimenez, Director of Student Services
100 Tiger Trail
Liberty Center, Ohio 43532
Phone: 419.533.4498


Liberty Center District Policy on Homeless Students can be obtained through Board Policy 5111.01